Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Food Blogging as Procrastination

I have work to do.

I actually have 2 things due at work tomorrow, both of which need writing.

Instead, let me tell you about wanting an cast iron Aebleskiver pan.

I was reading Unclutterer, which I totally dig, and they were making fun of an as-seen-on-TV item called the Pancake Puff Kit. I haven't seen this on TV. I had never heard of it until tonight.

Yes, yes, yes, the web page is ludicrous.
Yes, it would be wrong to pay an additional $20 plus shipping for a plastic pastry cream squirter and some wooden skewers.
Yes, I'm sure the product is poorly made, designed as it was to be sold sight unseen.
And, yes, as is UnClutterer's main point, it is a total unitasking item, one that would sit untouched in the cabinet at least 300 days a year.

Dude, I want one.

Come on! You want one too, don't you? Don't you?? Don't you want to make spherical baked goods? And eat them while they're almost too hot to eat? Or else fill them with pastry cream and impress the crap out of other people?

Incidentally, I take a back seat to no one in my admiration for multi-task tools. I have 2 items (a cast iron skillet and a dutch oven) that I use every time I cook. I use the same wooden spoons and tongs every single night. I have 3 knives. Okay, and a bread knife. 4 knives.

But come on!! My french press doesn't do anything but make coffee, one cup at a time, but it does a good job. I want coffee, and I get coffee. So, go french press.

So I think I want pancake balls.

So I will be looking for one of these.




None too glamourous, but.....COME ON!

OH! and you know what else? Do you know what the traditional Danish implement for turning the spheres is?

A KNITTING NEEDLE.

How do I not have one of these already?

No comments: