Saturday, June 02, 2007

Smarter than a 12th Grader

This list of 100 words that high school graduates should be able to define...scared me to death when I first saw it linked on the excellent Addison Road.

But a deeper look, at a more relaxed time, and I was able to scrounge up a vague idea of the meaning of everything except 'moeity'.

Speaking of dictionaries, what's a good slang dictionary? The other day, I used the phrase 'that'll cut no soap with me, young man' (meaning that Ian's whining would win him no sympathy) and I wondered where on earth that had come from.

A great many of the turns of phrase that come out of me were common in the 1920s and '30s, because I am a time traveler. That's also why I know all those old songs. Oh, you may THINK it's because my dad was born in 1914, and my mom in 1924, but I'm sticking with the time travel story.

No comments: