Thursday, November 13, 2008

No NaBloPoMo prizes for me - I missed yesterday.

Thanks for all your warm thoughts. For those that asked, David is David T. Crowe, someone who was my friend from the start of elementary school until his death last week. He was my best friend through childhood and adolescence. It was a rare day that I didn't spend a few hours with him, from the age of about 8 until about 20.

He was the funniest person I have ever known.
And that, my friends, is saying something.
He was funny in the third grade, funny in college, funny in off-broadway shows; I would imagine he cracked a joke on his last phone call on Friday. He didn't really try; really, he couldn't help himself. He just saw the humor in things.

He did not have a mean bone - a mean molocule - in his being.

His sweetheart said something in an email that I had never thought about, but it is 100% true: not everyone likes me, not everyone likes you, but everyone loved David. Of course people got mad at him occasionally, but truly - no one could keep themselves from liking him.

We used to lie and tell people we were brother and sister. If they bought that, we would tell them we were twins.

I used to steal his shoes and wear them.

I can remember a lot of things about him - things he wore, jokes we made, things we did together - but it's almost as if I can't get a clear mental picture of him, himself. Can't pin him down. He seems blurry. I guess he was always standing so close.

No comments: