Thursday, February 12, 2009

I got you, babe


this being February, I have of course had several conversations about this movie, which find quite thought-provoking - deeply philosophical, if not precisely religious. For me, it has stood up to repeated viewings. If we are doomed to repeat, if the things we do cannot make us progress, if we cannot accumulate stuff and increase wealth and status...how then shall we live? What makes a satisfying life, in the absence of a future?
Apparently I'm not the only one who can find all this stuff in a comedy.
Interestingly, another movie that I watch with complete rapt attention at least annually, and one that never fails to make me laugh and cry, is also a Bill Murray dumbass comedy.
Hmmm.
national review link via Get Religion, a blog critiquing the way the news media covers (or usually fails to cover) religious questions. I read it at least once a week. (This is the website that jokingly suggested, in its predictions for the new year, that the Obamas would be joining our little church. Funny, eh?)
(One commenter helpfully added that we have space on the church grounds for their helepad.)

No comments: